Armed Forces Day 2013 - Weekend May 17-18
LST 393 honored America’s heroes this year on Armed Forces Day weekend, May 17-18.
On Friday, May 17, veterans affairs coordinator Dan Weikel and state and local VA offices sponsored the second annual Veterans Job Fair. For more information, please go to the Veterans Job Fair page.
The tribute continued on Armed Forces Day, Saturday, May 18, with events starting at 10 a.m. The program and tours through LST 393 and the museum were free. There were static displays of World War II and current military vehicles as well as displays of military memorabilia.The Grand Rapids Accordion Ensemble performed.
The formal program began at noon and included:
- All-American anthems by U.S. Army 146th Field Band Brass Quintet.
- Patriotic songs by the Leffring Sisters.
- American Legion 9 posting the colors.
- A keynote address by State Sen. Goeff Hansen, R-Hart.
- Special focus this year on World War II veterans. A certificate of appreciation was awarded to every WWII vet at this ceremony.
- The ceremony endd with a 21-gun salute, Taps, and a fly-over of rare World War II-era Warbirds.
The USS LST 393 Veterans Museum is an official drop-off location for food items being donated the “Muskegon County Needy Veterans Food Pantry.”
The Muskegon Lions Club provided their great food available on both Friday and Saturday
View the Armed Forces Day image gallery: