Armed Forces Day 2014 - Weekend May 16-17
LST 393 honored America’s heroes this year on Armed Forces Day weekend, May 16-17.
On Friday, May 16, veterans affairs coordinator Dan Weikel and local veterans offices sponsored the second annual Veterans Job Fair. For more information, please go to the Veterans Job Fair page.
The tribute continued on Armed Forces Day, Saturday, May 17, with events starting at 10 a.m. The program and tours through LST 393 and the museum were free. There were static displays of World War II and current military vehicles as well as displays of military memorabilia.The Grand Rapids Accordion Ensemble performed.
The formal program began at noon and included:
- An address and medal presentation by West Michigan's congressman U.S. Rep Bill Huizenga
- All-American anthems by Muskegon's Shoreline Chorus.
- American Legion 9 posting the colors.
- A keynote address by Lt. Col Ronald M. Janowski.
- The ceremony endd with a 21-gun salute, Taps, and a fly-over of rare World War II-era Warbirds.
The USS LST 393 Veterans Museum is an official drop-off location for food items being donated the “Muskegon County Needy Veterans Food Pantry.”
View the Armed Forces Day image gallery: